Calories burned swimming

Calories Burned Calculator
Estimate the calories you burned swimming:
Pace:
Weight:
Time:
Powered by Everyday Health.

Friday, January 7, 2011

I think I hate people today...

So, I took in a kitten... I saved him from the shelter, I guess. Good thing, too, the one he was headed for is really, really bad. I love him to pieces, and no matter what, I always will. He is about 7 months old, and very energetic, so he's in his "holy terror" stage still... You know, tearing the house apart, chewing on my toes at night, wants to play all of his tiny waking hours (he sleeps 18 of 24), etc.

All in all, it's been highly entertaining. He's adorable... I will never understand what makes people get so angry at animals, particularly baby ones. He has no real behavioral problems whatsoever. He nibbles from time to time, but they outgrow that anyway. I just picked up a sweatshirt that has been on the floor near an area where he sleeps regularly. I automatically smell-checked, having lived with a formerly feral feline. It smelled like me. It'd been there at least four days. There isn't even any hair on it. I'm impressed by his behavior, really.

Anyway, I don't normally take in one at a time, partly because socializing a solitary kitten is not easy for a non-feline creature. So, originally; I was looking into buying a Savannah... what can I say? I miss wild-animal antics in my living room... (did I mention we've been slightly less poor this year? It's been nice to have milk almost every day, and nicer to know that when we don't, it's wholly because of my daughter's voracious appetite) but there is a large part of me who is very acutely aware of the realities of the average cat's life. Many cats are picked out, fun for a while, and subsequently discarded at the local shelter, or worse, abandoned somewhere outside.

I CANNOT understand this behavior AT ALL. It literally sickens me that people abandon their pets. I have been homeless and still managed to provide a home for my pets. I realize that on that one, I had more help than many do. But to drop the poor thing off because "it pees outside of the litterbox", "the baby has allergies", "it smells" etc. These I do not understand. On the other hand, I suppose these pets deserved better than to be owned by assholes such as these... but they usually don't get what they do deserve, a nice loving FOREVER home with someone who accepts them for who they are (animals, people, your expectations need to be realistic). No. Most get a quiet death after you abandon them.

Don't get me wrong, if I had space, and financial resources, I'd take every single one of them. They would never have to endure being regarded as an object ever again. Seriously, I just can't believe how selfish some people are. And worse, how common it apparently is.

No comments:

Post a Comment